Plant and machinery
Period of expenditure from 1.4.2018 1.4.2016 Annual Investment Allowance 100% £200,000 £200,000 Energy/water-efficient technologies 100% 100% Writing down allowance – general pool 18% 18% Writing down allowance – special rate pool 8% 8%
- Neither capital expenditure nor depreciation is generally allowed as an expense.
- The writing down allowance spreads the cost over several years, and is not related to the accounting depreciation.
- Special rate pool includes long life assets, plant integral to buildings and thermal insulation.
CO2 emissions of vehicle (g/km)
Allowance 1.4.2018 1.4.2017 100% Up to 50 Up to 75 18% pa (in general pool) Up to 110 Up to 130 8% pa (in special rate pool) Above 110 Above 130
- The 100% allowance is only available if the car is acquired new, not second-hand.
- If purchased before April 2013, the 8% allowance only applies to cars with CO2 emissions over 160g/km.
- Unincorporated businesses: the allowance is reduced for private use of the car.